July 12th, 2010
Okay – maybe I am a bit biased, but I do believe that, as a base, this is the best granola recipe I have tried in a long time. This is a simple granola recipe that leaves plenty of room for creativity and expansion. Add a handful of cashews, carob chips, almonds or pepitas to make the best granola even better!
What you need:
3 cups of uncooked rolled oats
1 cup of sunflower seeds
1 cup of sesame seeds
1 cup of wheat germ
1 cup of honey
½ cup of pure vegetable oil
¼ cup of soy flour
1 tablespoon of pure vanilla
¼ cup of chopped dates if desired
¼ cup of shredded coconuts if desired
½ cup of water
Steps for making the best granola recipe:
1. Heat up the oven to 350 degrees
2. Take a backing sheet and grease it lightly
3. Mix everything except the coconut and into a bowl.
4. Spread out the mixture over the backing sheet evenly.
5. Bake for about 15 or 20 minuets or until it is browned.
6. Add the dates and coconut if desired and mix together.
April 28th, 2010
Granola can be an incredibly healthy way to start the day or it can considered a junk food. It all depends on the ingredients used. Try this healthy granola recipe that provides great healthy benefits while avoiding some of the common granola pitfalls.
As with any granola recipe, feel free to add your own creative touch by substituting nuts, seeds and sweeteners. Play around with the recipes until you find your perfect mix. And don’t forget to include your kids in the preparations. Kids typically loving helping in the kitchen!
Sweet Tart Granola
6 cups old-fashions oats
1 1/4 cups pistachios
1/4 cups sunflower seeds
1/3 cup ground flaxseed or wheat germ
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
3 large egg whites
3/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cups honey (maple syrup or molasses can be substituted)
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup dried cherries
1/2 cup coconut flakes
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Combine first five ingredients in a large bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs whites and salt until frothy. Combine honey and oil.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until evenly coated.
5. Evenly spread the mixture on two baking sheets and bake 20 minutes.
6. Gently flip granola with a spatula and bake an additional 10 minutes, until golden brown. If the granola begins to brown too much on the edges, gently stir the outer parts to the middle.
7. Remove from the oven and cool completely on the pan. Once cooled, transfer the granola to a bowl and gently stir in the dried cherries and coconut.